Brandon Joseph Baker Info

My photo
Oakland/San Francisco, California
A place to share the works that inspire me.

20111213

JIM SANBORN | PHOTOGRAPHY

I ran across the work of Jim Sanborn last night right before turning in for bed. The images remained heavy in my memory as I drifted off to sleep before I arose a few hours later to look at them again. These images are from his work titled The Topographic Projections and Implied Geometries Series.  According to the description on his website the images are shot on moonless nights with a large projection almost a 1/2 mile away from the subject/landscape. I can only speculate on the intricacies of his process from location selection, exposure length and camera selection.

The flatted distortion from the projected light on the landscape reminds me of cast light from the headlights of a car on a empty road. The geometric patterns counter act the flattened distortion by bringing depth back into the images instilling a surreal dream quality to these night photographs.

For more on Sandorn visit his website jimsanborn.net



No comments: